Monday, February 23, 2009

Man Meets Hill, Hill Wins

I've been actively commuting to work by bicycle for over a year and a half now. In this relatively short amount of time I've managed to learn quite a bit about bicycle commuting. It is my hope that this blog will allow me to share what I've learned. In addition I may rant, rave, and jump up and down over just about anything on my mind. I want this to be a place to consolidate my thoughts and share my experiences with the cycling world. If my feedback proves useful to you, let me know.

So what made me start commuting to work by bicycle? I was conquered by a hill. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking I tried riding my bike up a hill one day and after I realized I was too fat and slow that I had to do something about it. Well, you're wrong. I didn't go up a hill at all. Sadly, I went down -- on skiis.

I stopped at least four or five times down every run. "What the hell?" I thought. Had my body gone so far into the crapper I couldn't even ski down a hill anymore?

Oh boy. Old age had caught up to me and I was only 27. To be honest, I was horrified. In my childhood I could have skied up a hill and burnt fewer calories. What happened to me?

It was time for a change. Why not cycling? When I was a kid I rode just about everywhere. That is, until I was 18 and was damned with the automobile. In college I rode my bicycle to and from class. I visited my then-girlfriend, now-wife. I shopped at the grocery store. I was mobile at the expense of a few calories.

And so it began. With the bleak reality that was, I set out to change. Five thousand plus miles later, I've changed.

I can go down a hill again.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment